Welcome new students

Arriving from overseas

A small globe in the palm of a hand with mountains in the background

Travelling to the UK

Impatient to join our global family?

Before you arrange to travel, please check the UK Government website for the latest information and restrictions on entering the UK and living in England.

It’s important you keep checking for updates before you travel to find out if you are able to enter the UK, what you must do before you travel and upon arrival.

Don't worry - we're here to help the immigration information below will make sure your arrival to the UK and our campuses goes smoothly.


Before you travel, make sure you are prepared for your arrival and know what to expect. You must have valid UK immigration permission in place and carry all required documents in your hand luggage. The Home Office recommend that travel is only booked once you have been granted your visa.

Obtaining a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

CAS is an electronic document required to make a student visa application if you are applying from outside the UK and require sponsorship. 

In order to be eligible for a CAS you must have: 

CAS issue is not an automatic process.

We will aim to send you a CAS questionnaire to complete within 7 days from your offer becoming unconditional, or receiving a deposit payment (if this is required). We will also request any other documents/information required. 

Once this is received, we will review your responses to ensure that you meet Student Visa requirements. We will get in touch if we have further questions and will only proceed to issue CAS once we are confident that your visa application will be successful. 

If you have not heard from us after 4 weeks of submitting your CAS questionnaire, or after providing requested information, and you require an urgent response please email adintadv@essex.ac.uk

Find out more about Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).

Your deposit

Depending on method of payment it may take a few days for your payment to reach our account. You can help us by making it as clear as possible where the payment is to be assigned.

If you receive a CAS questionnaire from us you can assume that your deposit payment has been received as we require payment of the deposit in order to send this.

If you do not receive receipt of payment or a CAS questionnaire within 7 days please send us proof of payment as we will ask our Income team to confirm the payment has been received. 

If you are asked to pay a deposit to secure your place and scholarship, you should do so by the relevant deadline.

Further information on how to pay a deposit can be found on our tuition fee deposits webpage.

Please note that the East 15 Acting School course deposit terms and conditions are different.


You’ll need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the University in order to apply for a student visa if you require sponsorship to study. The Admissions teams are issuing CAS as usual to applicants that they are confident meet all of the requirements, and they might ask you some additional questions as part of the process.

Once you have your CAS it is valid for 6 months, giving you plenty of time to make your student visa application, but you should let Admissions know if you do not think you will be arriving by the latest accept date on your CAS.

The type of visa you should apply for will depend on your circumstances including, what passport or travel document you hold, the length of your proposed study and where you are applying from.

The Admissions teams complete rigorous checks to ensure that CAS is only issued if we believe that your visa application will be successful. Our visa refusal rate is extremely low. However, in the rare instance that a visa is refused you should contact us to determine if other options such as online only teaching are possible. 

Visa requirements after 1 January 2021

European and Swiss students who travel to the UK on or after 1 January 2021 will need to apply for immigration permission to study, unless you already hold settled status. Irish students will continue to have the right to live and study in the UK after the UK leaves the EU.

Read our immigration pages for further information about applying for your visa.

Police registration

From 4 August 2022, students and any dependants who are 16 and over, from certain countries or territories, who are studying in the UK for more than six months are not required to register with the police. Visit the government website to find out more about the change of requirement in relation to police registration.

Right to study checks

As a new student, we are required to check your identity and that you have the right to study with us inside the UK. Read our Registration page to find out what identity documents you will need to bring with you.

Collecting your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

When you arrive in the UK, you’ll be able to arrange collection of your BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) from the place you’ve chosen, you must collect your BRP by the ‘valid to’ date on the entry clearance sticker or, within 10 days of your arrival in the UK, whichever is the latest date. Find out more about collecting your BRP from the University.