Getting documents

Certificate of registration

All currently registered students can now access their certificate of registration electronically at any time and share it with third parties.

This document can be used to:

  • confirm that you are registered student
  • register for council tax exemption or reduction
  • open a bank account
  • confirm your current status as a student.

Log into your Gradintelligence account to view your certificate.

Please note, if you have updated your personal details, such as your term-time address via My Essex, this will take 24 hours to update on your Gradintelligence account.

Accessing your Gradintelligence account

Your official Gradintelligence account is created automatically when you complete the Essex online registration for your programme. You will have received an email from Gradintelligence to your University email address asking you to ‘activate’ your account

  • If have already activated your Gradintelligence account you can use the username and password you created to log in.
  • If it is your first time using Gradintelligence at Essex, you’ll need to activate your account using that link sent to your University email address (search Gradintelligence to find it). If you cannot find this, you can reset it.
  • If you have previously accessed your Higher Education Achievement Report or the Big Essex Award you will have already created a username and password for your account and if you need to you can reset it.

Getting a replacement registration card

You can get a replacement registration card, if you have previously had a card and it is lost or faulty. You will need to make an appointment to attend one of our student service hubs and bring along a form of identification. There is a charge of £5 for a replacement card and payment can only be made using a contactless method.

You won't have to pay if:

  • your card is damaged or worn
  • your card has been stolen (you need to have a police crime number)
  • your card has expired due to a change in your expected completion of study date
  • you were under the age of 18 when the card was issued and you've since turned 18
  • your card is faulty

When you're given your replacement card, a note will be made on file and your attendance record will be adjusted up to a limited period of time, so it's important that you get a replacement card as soon as possible.

Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR)

Undergraduate students who registered on their course for the first time in and after September 2014 now have a Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR).

The HEAR is a secure digital document that you can access and share for life. You can use your HEAR as you go through your degree as a record of all your achievements. You can also use it to apply for internships and placements, as it’s a fully certified record of your academic results. You can share a digital version of your HEAR with employers and other universities, providing them with a University-certified record of your achievements.

Students not eligible for a HEAR can still order an academic transcript.

Term and vacation dates for a UK employer

If you have student immigration permission your employer will require details of your term and vacation dates from the University. Dates that apply will depend on your course and the standard dates published on the University website may not apply to you. The request must come from you, not your employer. 

Please read our guidance on requesting written confirmation of your term dates and vacations.

Student Documentation Ordering System 

The Student Documentation Ordering System enables you to order and, where applicable, pay for a range of documents, including:

Documents for current students

  • Academic Transcript for postgraduate students
  • Certificate of Registration to provide to the Army
  • Certificate of Registration to obtain an ATAS certificate
  • Certificate of Registration to obtain a Schengen visa for European travel (European Union – EU)

If you need any further help and advice, contact the Student Services Hub.

Documents for former students

  • Academic Transcripts (only for alumni without access to the HEAR)
  • Award Certificates
  • Award Confirmation Letters
  • DOATAP Award Confirmation Letters (Greek students only)
  • Specialist Alumni Letter

If you need any further help and advice, contact the Graduation Office at

Student Services Hub
Need help?

If you need any further help and advice, please contact or visit the Student Services Hub who will be happy to assist you.