Our support services
Everyone has mental health – sometimes good, sometimes not so good. You may have been diagnosed with a mental health condition, or you may be feeling low, stressed, depressed, anxious, angry, or feeling that life isn't worth living.
Whatever your concerns are, no matter how long you've had them or whether or not you know the cause, come along to our drop-in service. We understand you may feel anxious, whatever is discussed will be treated with respect. We are currently operating a remote drop in service. You can request a video or telephone appointment by using the online drop in service enquiry form.
In the evenings or at weekends you can contact the Validium Student Wellbeing Support Line. If you live in University accommodation, you can contact Security out of hours for advice and support. Please also see the ‘External support services’ below for further information.
- 24 Hour Student Wellbeing Support Line: on 0800 970 5020 (outside UK: +44 141 271 7168) – this is staffed by counsellors from our partner counselling provider Validium - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- SilverCloud: a free online resource using CBT practices that you can work through on a number of different courses such as anxiety and depression
- Validium VClub: an online support option which all University of Essex students can access
- Colchester Campus: Security (24 hours) – 01206 872125 or 872222 in an emergency
- Southend Campus: University Square reception - 01702 328408 or 07920 821678
- Student Space
Contact your Student Services Hub
The Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity Service is currently operating a remote drop in service. You can request a video or telephone appointment by using the online drop in service enquiry form.
The Counselling Service, provided by Validium, will also be offering appointments remotely.
For any queries about COVID-19, please refer to the University's guidance.
Find out who to contact in a medical or mental health emergency