Most University devices come with GlobalProtect installed and should automatically connect when you log in to your device. If this isn't the case for you, then follow these steps to get set up:
- Go to software.essex.ac.uk and sign in with your University username (eg jb2000) and password. If this is your first time using the Software Hub, please follow the setup instructions shown on screen.
- Use the search box at the top of the page and search for Global Protect VPN
- Click or hover over Global Protect VPN and select Install to begin installation.
- Once installed, open GlobalProtect from your start menu. On Windows, you can quickly open GlobalProtect from the GlobalProtect icon in your notification area (bottom- right). On macOS, the icon will appear in the top menu bar.
- Check that Portal is set to byodportal.essex.ac.uk and then select Connect.
- You may then be asked to sign in with your University IT account.
- After signing you will be connected to VPN.
Detailed instructions with screenshots are available at: