How can I support the LGBTQ+ community?
Below we have listed ideas of how you can be an effective and supportive ally to the LGBTQ+ community:
- include your pronouns at the bottom of your emails
- subscribe to the LGBTQ+ Allies mailing list
- attend Bystander Intervention Training to learn how to safely challenge discrimination (search 'Bystander intervention' in HR Organiser)
- use gender-neutral language in your daily communication, such as emails, committee papers, web entries, etc.
- our Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity Service have also provided guidance for staff supporting LGBTQ+ students within the University, and have provided many resources for LGBTQ+ students.
- support LGBTQ+ events by learning about their history and origins, for example, Trans Awareness Week, LGBTQ+ History Month, Trans Day of Remembrance, Pride, etc.
- queer spaces and events provide a safe environment for LGBTQ+ people to socialise and celebrate their community; as an ally, be mindful of occupying these spaces and remain aware of your behaviour and presence as a guest.
- consume media by LGBTQ+ artists, novelists, scientists, etc.
- if you witness hate crime, report it via Report and Support
If you would like to know more about the work of the allies, please contact Victoria Fontenelle (Chair of the LGBTQ+ Allies) on email@example.com.