- This bursary is restricted to students who are eligible for UK home fees and funding, and ordinarily resident in the UK (overseas and EU students are not eligible).
- You must be commencing your studies in the first year (year 1*) of a full-time undergraduate degree, with first registration at Essex in 2023-24**.
- You must have received an offer of admission for entry in 2023-24 and have fully registered on your course. This includes if you are applying through the clearing process.
- You must have applied for and have been approved for funding from Student Finance England (or other UK funding provider) with the University of Essex as your chosen institution. You must have requested a means-tested assessment for funding to Student Finance England and have been assessed as having an annual household income of up to £25,000.
- Successful applicants should be available for promotional activities.
*Students must be starting at Essex in year 1 of their course, not entering via the direct entry route.
**Students who have completed a Certificate in Higher Education at Essex and re-register for an eligible course will be treated as new students for the purposes of the bursary. University of Essex Page 2 of 3
Students who are not eligible
The following students are NOT eligible for this scholarship regardless of meeting the above criteria:
- Students undertaking courses at Higher or Degree Apprenticeships.
- Students who are directly continuing from one course to another (for example from foundation degree or HND on to the final year of an honours degree).
- Students undertaking a foundation year or Year 0.
- Students transferring in from another UK higher education institution or entering after a period of break, but not in their first year of higher education.
- This award does not apply to deferred entry. Where a bursary has been awarded to a student who subsequently defers entry to the following academic year, the award will be withdrawn, and the applicant will be considered again in line with the terms and conditions that apply in the new proposed year of entry.
- Students undertaking a degree that is normally delivered wholly online.
- Students who are fully or partly sponsored.
Please read the full terms and conditions for your entry year before applying for or accepting a scholarship or bursary. They contain important information about eligibility, how you'll receive your funding and whether this award can be combined with others or not.
University of Essex bursary terms and conditions 2023-24 (.pdf)
If you're a current student looking for information about an award you received, see our terms and conditions for previous years.