In order to apply you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You are a new or continuing full time or part-time registered student at the University of Essex in academic year 2023/24
- You are undertaking Undergraduate or Postgraduate study
- You were aged under 25 at the start of your current course
- You have been ‘looked after’ for at least 13 weeks by a local authority at some point since you were 14 years old, and were in care on or after your sixteenth birthday.
You are estranged from both parents/carers. By estranged we mean that either:
- You have not communicated with either of your biological or adoptive parents for a period of time before your course began
- Your parents cannot be traced or it is not possible, practical, or safe to make contact with them
- Your parents have significant mental or physical health problems which prevent you from contacting them
- Both of your biological or adoptive parents are deceased
How to apply
- Ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria above
- Carefully read the guidance notes
- Register for the Blackbullion online money management website
- Click the ‘Funding’ tab and select ‘UoE Care Leaver and Estranged Bursary’
- Submit your signed declaration form and supporting evidence
- Support for care leavers
- Leaving care or going it alone and entering higher education can be a huge challenge. We’re here to support you all the way, from application through to graduation and finding a job. Check out our other student support services for care leavers and estranged students.
Please read the full terms and conditions for your entry year before applying for a university fund. They contain important information about eligibility, evidence required and how to apply.
Care Leaver and Estranged Bursary terms and conditions 2023-24 (.pdf)
If you're a current student looking for information about an award you received, see our terms and conditions for previous years.