This is a Masters course that can take you into employment anywhere in the world.
If you are enthusiastic about teaching English to speakers of other languages, then our course offers you vocationally-relevant, research-led training of the highest quality, taught by academics known for their teaching excellence.
You explore teaching methods and the description of English used in the investigation of language learning and teaching, and study additional topics according to your needs. These might include:
- How second language learners acquire the four skills as well as language systems
- How the four skills, vocabulary and grammar can be taught
- How language learning can be assessed and tested
- How different aspects of the psychology of language learners and teachers influence learning and classroom practice
- How language lessons are planned, how materials are evaluated and designed, and how language classrooms can be managed
You also gain hands-on teaching experience through our one-term Teaching Practice module.
Whether you have no prior teaching experience or are already an English language teacher, this course can be adapted to suit you. If you have little or no previous teaching experience, you receive ‘hands on’ teaching practice throughout our teaching practice module, while if you already have substantial teaching experience, you can undertake specialist study through our educational leadership and management options instead
You'll be part of our Centre for Research in Language Development throughout the Lifespan (LaDeLi), a unique research centre specialising in all aspects of language learning and development.
We are 1st in UK for research impact in modern languages and linguistics (Grade Point Average, Research Excellence Framework 2021). We're also ranked 11th in the UK for Linguistics in the QS World University Rankings by Subject (2023).
If you want a global outlook, are interested in human communication, and want to study for a degree with real-world practical value in an established department, welcome to Essex.
This course is also available on a part-time basis.