Undergraduate study in philosophy at Essex offers a unique combination of analytic Anglo-American and European continental
Philosophy at Essex is internationally recognised for its unique combination of
Anglo-American and European continental philosophy.
We have strong expertise
in critical theory, phenomenology and classical German philosophy, and are
committed to fostering a variety of philosophical approaches, as well as to
developing links with other disciplines.
- 97 per cent student satisfaction (NSS 2012), ranked fifth in England
- Top ten in The Guardian University Guide 2010, 2011 and 2013
- Top ten for philosophy research departments in the UK
- A leading centre for continental philosophy
- Study abroad as part of your course
We are internationally recognised as a leading centre of postgraduate study in philosophy, both at Masters and PhD level.
Our research is ranked among the top ten philosophy departments in the UK and we are internationally
recognised for our expertise in critical theory, phenomenology and classical German philosophy.
Essex Autonomy Project
The Essex Autonomy Project aims to clarify the idea of self-determination as a guide for policy makers and frontline professionals dealing with the complexities of vulnerable
individuals and their capacity to make decisions for themselves.