We want to set up a general communications reference point, so that past students
can make contact with one another. Please email the page supervisor
Camilla Thomsen (cthomsj at essex.ac.uk) with details of your email address and
(best of all) home page, so that we can update your entry. In particular, if you
are able to provide careers advice to our current students, please let the relevant
page supervisor know.
If you would like to donate money to our
Scholarship fund please contact Lynsey Dawson in the University’s
Development and Alumni Relations Office (email@example.com or 01206 872700)
for further information. Your donation would contribute to supporting
Postgraduate students in financial need.
Research Degrees: PhD | MPhil | MSc by Research
Taught MSc: Discrete Mathematics and
its Applications |
Financial Decision Making with Applications | Statistics and Operational Research |
Mathematics and Finance | Operational Research and
Computer Science | Statistics
and Computer Science | Statistics and Data Analysis |
Statistics and Econometrics |
Postgraduate Diploma: Statistics
and Computer Science | Statistics and Data
Graduate Diploma: Statistics and Operational Research |
Read what students past
and present have said about the Department of Mathematical Sciences.
- Joseph G. Abdulahad, 1989. Liquid surface conditions.
- Hishyar K. Abdullah, 1989. Steady rivulets.
- Yousef Achkar, 1990. Probability of availability of repairable systems
- Imtiaz Ahmad, 2011. Bandwidth Labelling of Graphs and Their
- A.S. Akhter, 1987. Estimating the parameters of the truncated normal distribution.Director, Institute of Statistics, Uni of Punjab , Lahore.
- H. Al-Fattal, 1987. Some problems of priority in queueing systems.
- D.S. Al-Jawad, 1987. Some aspects of quality assurance with particular reference to quality auditing.
- Irshad Ahmad Arshad, 2003. Using statistical methods for automatic classifications
of clouds in ground-based photographs of the sky. Lecturer, Allam Iqbal Open University, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Jose Manuel Arteaga Salas, 2010. Statistical Treatment of Spatial
Flaws in Oligonucleotide Microarrays
- Mir Asadullah, 1986. Viscous flow near a stationary contact line.
- A.M.A.H. Aziz, 1988. Simulation systems for statistical
tests. Associate Professor, Centre of Measurement and Evaluation, University
of Bahrain (October 2001) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paul Baxter, 2004. The extraction of fade-slope profiles from radio communications
data using wavelets. Lecturer, Department of Statistics, University of
- R. Bettess, 1978. Properties of non-linear model equation for dispersive waves.HR Wallingford, Howbery Park, Wallingford, Oxon. OX10 8BA.
- D.K. Bose, 1974. Mathematical aspects of finite amplitude steady waves in swirling
- Dan Brawn, 2009. An Elementary Estimation of Gamma Parameters and
The Analysis of Disdrometer Data
- J.H. Camacho Hernandez, 2007. Automatic Detection and Elimination of Redundant
Records in Textual Databases.
- P. M. Machado Cruz Catarino, 1998. The Monoid of Orientation - Preserving
Mappings on a Chain. Lecturer, Universidade de Trás-os-Montes e
Alto Douro, Portugal.
- David Charlton, 1984. A study of bistatic scattering from precipitation & applications to interference on radio and satellite systems
British Telecom, Martlesham, Ipswich, Suffolk
- M.R. Collyer, 1970. Gravity waves in a stratified shear flow
- X. Corvera-Poiré, 1996.
generation and sampling algorithms for dynamic stochastic programing
- Giorgio Consigli, 1997
- D. Culpin, 1972. Application of theories of estimation hypothesis testing &
process control to an industrial problem
- Robert Cummings, 2009. Information from Microwave Links: Adjusting
the Radar Rainfield and Assessing Precipitation Type
- R.B. da Silveira, 1998. Recognition of clutter in weather radars using
polarization diversity information and artificial neural networks.
Nacional de Meteorologia, Brasilia DF.
- M.M.G. D'Amico, 1997. An anisotropic model of the electromagnetic properties
of the melting layer, and comparison with radar observations.
- E.B. Deksnis, 1979. The propagation of shock waves in bubbly liquids.
- Sani Doguwa, 1988. Statistical analysis of mapped spatial point patterns
Bank of Nigeria
- John M. Dowden 1967. Thermally driven
flow on a rotating sphere Emeritus Professor, Department of Mathematical
Sciences, University of Essex
- J. Dwyer, 1981. Viscous internal waves. Algana Associates:
Visiting Lecturer, Computing, Roehampton University, London SW15 5SL
- Julian P. Eade, 1983. The calculation of the probability distributions in the
collective theory of risk.
- Tim Earl,
2009. Modelling Nutrient Loads from British Catchments
- M.A. El-Sayed, 1996. Robust acceptance sampling schemes.
- D. Fakinos, 1980. A study of some service systems with arrivals generated by
a simple or a compound Poisson Process. (As at November 2001: Associate
Professor, Dept. of Maths., University of Athens Panepistimioupolos.)
- Muhammad Farooq, 2011. New Lanczos-Type Algorithms and Their
Implementation. Assistant Professor,
Department of Mathematics, University of Peshawar
- Juan-Jose Fernandez-Duran, 1998. Statistical techniques for clutter removal and
attenuation detection in weather radar data. Associate Professor, ITAM,
- Carlos David Finkel, 1972. Some applications of absolute analyis.
- Rong Gao,
2008, Some colouring problems for pseudo-random graphs.
- Georgios Gotsis, 1996. Pricing risk for interest rate derivatives.
- M.M. Gregorio-Dominguez, 1998. Stochastic Scheduling with Dependencies.
- S. Hamzavi-Rad, 1988. The optimal control of energy consumption in the United
- Paul James Hardaker, 1993. A study of the melting layer in single polarisation
radar echoes with application to operational weather data. Professor -
U.K. Meteorological Office
- Mumtaz Hashmi, 1977. Insurance risk operation; a mathematical analysis with particular
reference to the ruin probability for finite and infinite planning horizons, including
a study of the supervision problem. Manager, Royal Guardian, Pakistan
- David Holland, 1989Modelling the instantaneous temporal variation in rain-rates
Ordnance Survey, Southampton
- Ian David Huntley, 1973. Aspects of nonlinear wave interactions.
- James P. Hutton, 1995. Fast valuation of derivative securities.
Systems Engineer, Information Services Division, Nomura Research Institute Europe
- Muhammad Asif Jan, 2011. Decomposition based evolutionary methods
for constrained multiobjective optimization.
- Jeff. H. Johnson, 1975. A multidimensional analysis of urban road traffic.
- Zsofia Juhasz, 2011. Operation-compatible quasiorders and filters in
- A. Kalim, 1980. Theoretical and experimental studies of fluid flow in a rotating
- Ben Kiregyera, 1984. On use of auxiliary information in sampling for some skewed
and non-skewed populations
- Wali Khan, 2012. Hybrid Multiobjective evolutionary algorithms based
- Zain-ul-Abdin Khuhro, 2011. The development of a clique finding
algorithm and its use in comparing RNA tertiary structures.
- Constantinos Kotopoulos, 2000. Asymptotics of Multi-Buffered Queueing Systems
with Generalised Processor Sharing
- Gennady Kuznetsov, 2003. Application of the coherent potential approximation
to high frequency scattering by a multi-phase melting ice particle.
- Bayo Lawal, 1981. Improvements to Pearson's X2 test when some cells have small
Dean of the School of Sciences and Professor in the Department of Mathematics
at Auburn Montgomery University, USA
- Gail D. Lochtie, 1992. Propagation at
microwave frequencies in the presence of tropospheric stratified layers.
- M.M.Mahmoud, 1978. Conditionality and robust estimation - the role of the ansilliary
- Eleni Maistrelli, 2005. Paley and related graphs.
- Malik B. Malik, 1985. Acceptance sampling : Robust alternatives for sampling
- Farhat Memon, 2012. Study of the effects caused by the G-Quadruplex
structures on high-throughput nucleic acid measurements.
- Maria Mercedes Gregorio-Dominguez, 1998. Stochastic scheduling with dependencies
Associate Professor, ITAM
- Mohamed Mahmoud Mohamed, 1978. Conditionality and robust estimation: the role
of the ancillary statistics.
- Katrina Jane Morrow, 2011. Photoacclimation in Phytoplankton: The
Requirements of Models and the Limitations of the Data.
- Peter A. Osanaiye, 1984. Quality assurance in sequences of batches with varying
- Isaac O. Oshungade, 1988. Nonresponse and ratio estimation problems in sample
- A.C.A.P. Patton, 1966. A simplified Monte Carlo Significance Test Procedure.
- R.K. Price, 1969. Waves in shallow water
- David Goldie Provis, 1975. Propagation of water waves near an island.
Lawson nas Treloar Pty Ltd., Unit 19 Business Park Drive, Notting Hill VIC 3168,
- Amir Rahimi, 2004. Statistical Validation of Rainfall Estimates obtained
from Microwave Attenuation
- I.T. Russell, 1977. The need for maternity service (with special reference to
problems of resource allocation). Professor of Health Sciences, University of
- Jim H. Shepherd, 1981. Some studies in electromagnetic scattering by dielectric
- Christopher Saker, 2004.
sets and aperiodic unavoidable sets. Lecturer and Further Mathematics Support Programme Area Co-ordinator, Department of Mathematical
Sciences, University of Essex.
- Peter Shola, 1990. Numerical solution of a free-boundary viscous flow.
- Stephan Siemen, 2002. Extraction of wind information from single Doppler
radar data. Research Officer, Remote Sensing & Propagation Laboratory,
Maths. Dept., University of Essex.
- George Stower, 1985. The permeability of regular porous media.
- F.P. Tailoka, 1998. An efficient strategy for the selection of acceptable
multiple regression models.
- Robin Thompson, 1997. Fast sequential and parallel methods for solving multistage
stochastic linear programmes. Working for Paribas
- J.A. Vazquez Rodriguez, 2007. Meta-hyper-heuristics for Hybrid Flow Shops.
- Alexei Vernitski, 1999,
of abstract semigroups closed under the formation of subsemigroups and finitary
direct products. Lecturer, Departments of Mathematical Sciences and School
of Computer Science and Electronics Engineering, University of Essex
- I.H.C. Wilks, 1976. A study of self consistent models of the Pomeranchuk singularity.
- Muhammad Yousaf, 2011. Repeated Updating As a Solution Tool for
Linear Least Squares Problems
- Oluwole Adegboyega, 1971. Studies in applied statistics.
- E.A. Alduncin, 1980. Time series analysis forecasting and control applied to
economics. The Box-Jenkins approach to a paradigm in Econometrics.
- G.G. Gotsis, 1987. Losses in a M/G/k-loss system with group arrivals.
- Christopher Jopson, 1997. A comparison
of methods for distinguishing rain and hail using radar measurements.
- M.O. Ojo, 1974. Non-parametric estimation of a negative exponential probability
- P.B. Rawlins, 1974. The role of operational research in the management of a local
- M. Rizbaf-Naubari, 1989. World coal transportation Mathematics Teacher,
Colchester Royal Grammar School.
MSc by Research
- Mohamed Youssef Achkar, 1986. A computer study of queues with scheduled arrivals
with the possibility of lateness.
- Stephen James Buchan, 1980. Edge waves on plane beaches.
- Gary Douglas Chapman, 1984. Reliability analysis of Markovian repairable systems.
- Giovanni Cimatti, 1977. On a problem of the theory of lubrication governed by
a variational inequality.
- Justin Jerome Doick, 1995. The visualisation of weather radar echoes.
- Pierino Forno, 1984. Rules and problems of learning in mathematics.
- Duarte Luis Freitas, 2012. Skeletal Maturity, Human Physical Growth
and Motor Performance.
- C.J. Harrold, 1995. Modelling multipath radiowave propagation in an urban environment.
British Telecom Research Laboratories, Martlesham
- Ali Asghar Houshmand, 1983. Optimal fixed sample size sequential trial.
- Hamed Abdallah Kandeel, 1979. Stratified sampling in high skewed accounting populations.
- Anastassios Kantzavelos, 1985. Reliability of simple systems under different
assumptions of breakdown and repair times.
- Muhammad Younas Khan, 2012. Topics in Semigroup Theory.
- Avo Gevorkian Livaskani, 1984. The profiles of the axially symmetric menisci.
(2001 - working for Optical Networks Incorporated Systems, Silicon Valley.)
- Gail Dickson Lochtie, 1987. Reflection from atmospheric layers at microwave frequencies.
- Arturo Lujan Lopez, 1977. Development and application of models and submodels
for water resources use in Mexico.
- George Markopouliotis, 1982. Eigenvalue immobility measures for social mobility
- Onisha Maruve, 1986. Viscous flow with moving contact lines.
- Panagiotis G. Mavraganis, 1977. Tests for non-normality with applications to
- Christopher David Melsa, 2010. Generalisations of the Contraction
- Evangelos Pattas, 2000. An evolutionary approach to searching the discrete
space of basic solutions in linearly constrained optimisation.
- Sébastien Nicolas, 2001. Stress distributions in thermoelastic problems
in semi-infinite bodies applied to onset of cracking in concrete.
- Massoud Shojai, 1978. Steady flow of viscous fluids through porous media; a review
- Javad Tehranchi, 1978. Experimental study of drag-reduction and degradation of
polymer solutions in pipe flows; a review study.
- Jason Wanner, 2010. Topics in Analytic Number Theory
- Ernesto R. Zamudio Gómez, 2001. On data mining financial data with enhanced
GP-SR and a comparison with GARCH(1,1)
MSc in Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications
- K.S.K.S. Alqassimi, 2006 (with Distinction)
- A. Kheniche, 2006 (with Distinction)
- A.S. Al-Tarimshawy, 2010
- B.K. Tamimi, 2010
- M.D. Wells, 2010
MSc in Financial Decision Making with Applications
- M. Allazov, 2012
- T. Meng, 2010
- O. Oz, 2010
MSc in Statistics and Operational Research
- A. Abatzoglou, 1992
- Adegoke Sule Ajiboye 1995
- A.E. Alduncin, 1970
- N. Alexander, 1994
- A. Alexiou, 2002
- R. Andrade - Pacheco (with Distinction), 2008
- K. Androutsopoulos, 1996
- M. Arvaniti, 2004.
- P. Ashley, 1993
- Antreas Athanassopoulos, 1990 Lecturer, University of Warwick
- Panagiota Bailaki, 1995
- D. Basileiou, 1994 Hellenic Army General Staff, Dept. of Studies & Research
- Tim Berry, 1995
- A. Bishnoi, 1967
- M. Bitsaki, 1997 (with Distinction)
- O. Bodhlyera, 1997
- C.M. Canhan, 1971
- M.I. Carson, 1971
- M. Cherryman, 1967
- M.W. Cheung, 1998
- A.K. Chishiba, 1992
- Fatima Choi, 1984
- T.W.R. Collings, 1970
- R.S. Collinson, 1970
- X. Corvera-Poiré
- E.Daliani, 1994
- N. Daud, 1992
- K. Dessypri, 1985
- F.A, Diaz De La O, 2006
Postdoctoral Research Assistant at the College of Engineering, Swansea
- M. Dicks, 1993
- Costas Dimitrainas, 1996
- Paul Dixon, 2000 (with Distinction) Operational Research Consultant
for Customs & Excise, London
- Mark Epps, 1994
- G. Fusai, 1994 (with Distinction)
- E. Georgious, 1996 (with Distinction)
- R. Giacometti, 1994
- C-D Giannakou, 1996
- G. Glanfield, 1967
- I. Georgakakos, 2002
- I. Grammatikos, 1997
- D. Halioulia, 2001
- N. Haji Abdul Latip, 2008
- George Hassiotis, 1996
- K. Heliotis, 1992
- N. Hicks, 1994
- D.Hilton, 1995
- Ali Houshmand, 1983 Professor of Industrial Engineering, University of Cincinnati
- N.J. Hewes, 1999
- J.P. Hutton, 1992 (with Distinction).
- M. Ioannou, 2006
- C. Jepson, 1993
- W. Kandeel, 1979
- I. Koliandri, 2006
- E. Karolidis, 1988
- C. Kotopoulos, 1997 (with Distinction)
- A. Kounoupis, 1997 (with Distinction)
- E. Kritsotakis, 1999
- Z. Kutup, 1999
- M.C. Lavelle, 1972 Head of Programmes & Projects Inf. Systems Div., Learning
& Skills Council
- M. Leoussis, 1996
- Mark Longland, 1994 Research assistant, St. Peter's College, Oxford
- G. Lytra, 2002
- Vassiliki Mammona, 1996
- Michelle McLean 1996 Currently Temporary Project Statistician in Biometrics Dept.,
- Melanie Marsh, 1994
- E. Mavrakis (with Distinction), 1999
- Georgios Mavritsakis, 1996
- S. Mills, 1993
- Ekaterini Mitakidou, 1996 (with Distinction)
- B.D.C. Montano Munoz, 2005
- H. Moraitis, 1991
- S. Mostafavi, 1981
- Christopher Newell, 1995 Marketing Analyst with market research company
- P. Ozbeser, 2005
- C. Papachristodoulou, 2001
- Anastasia Papastilianou, 1992
- D.N.A. Pettit, 1970
- K. Photiadou, 2001
- E. Photiou, 1999
- M. Pissidou, 2006
- N. Pitsolis, 1994 Hellenic Army General Staff, Dept. of Studies & Research
- Flora Radiotou, 2000
- A. Raftopoulou, 2002
- G. Ramasawmy, 1980
- S. Rayvadera, 1993
- D. Richards, 1994 (with Distinction), PhD(Camb.). Principal Learning
Designer, London-Wide Learning (as at November, 2001)
- I. Savoulli, 1993 (with Distinction)
- B. I. Selamoglu (with Merit), 2012
- Simon Shackell, 1995 (with Distinction) Employed as Financial Engineer - GNI
Ltd. (Derivatives Stockbroker) - part of Gerrard Group
- Anita Sharma, 1993
- Christoforos Siafakas, 2000 (with Distinction)
- Fotios Siannis, 1996 (with Distinction)(PhD subsequently obtained from
Warwick.) Lecturer in Statistics, University of Athens 2007
- Panagiota Siora, 1993
- Helen Smith, 1994
- Jo Solly, 1994
- Charlotte Stone, 1992
- George Streftaris, 1994 (with Distinction) Ph.D. (Edin.), Temporary Lecturer,
Actuarial Mathematics & Statistics, Heriot-Watt University (as at November 2001).
- G. Stukins, 1970
- L. Sun, 2001
- I. Symeonidou, 1993
- D. Taylor, 1993
- K. Tsermenidis, 2008
- K. Thomas, 1993 (with Distinction)
- R. Thompson, 1993 (with Distinction)
- O. Toreyen (with Distinction), 2008
- A. Tsiami, 1999
- V. Vakalopoulou, 1999
- Thanh-Loan Vo Duy, 2000
- R.L. Walker, 1970
- K. Whinray, 1992
- K. Whitfield, 1970
- Hawk Yan Woo, 1996
- W.J. Elliott, 2010
MSc in Mathematics and Finance
- A. Al Saadi, 2008
- M. Belgibayeva (with Distinction), 2011
- J. Centurion Figueroa (with Distinction), 2012
- K. Jaovisidha, 2010
- C. Laftsis, 2011
- T. Larppichet (with Distinction), 2011
- A. Lazos (with Distinction), 2012
- M. Parouty, 2008
- D. Wang, 2011
- M.C. Wong (with Distinction), 1999
- C. Xu (with Distinction), 2012
- J. Zaidi, 2008
MSc in Operational Research and Computer Science
- K. Chatzopoulos, 2002
- N. Chatsanga, 2006
MSc in Statistics and Computer Science
- F.J. Alvarez Regueiro, 2006
- J.M. Arteaga-Salas, 2005
- D. Canli, 2011
- D. Karantzis, 2002
- A. Ketsogian, 2002
- J. Mackenzie (with Distinction), 2002
- H. Mufeez 2009
- M. Perinis
- A. Stamatakos, 2001
MSc in Statistics and Data Analysis
- Ayob Aszunarni, 2008
- I. Gedik, 2008
- L. Hamadeh (with Distinction), 2011
- A. Iljina (with Distinction), 2011
- R. Papadopoulou, 2001
- A. Perez Quezada, 2011
- J. Otero-Zorrilla, 2004
- M. Ruiz (with Distinction), 2012
- O. Sokmen (with Distinction), 2011
- A.S. Suwailam, 2010
MSc in Statistics and Econometrics
- D. Adamou, 2007
- K. Aktas, 2012
- H. Bisira, 2008
- A.T. Diallo, 2010
- A. Donov (with Distinction), 2011
- H. Elgin, 2011
- X. Fernandez-Martinez, 2008
- V. Iliopoulos, 2005
- Y.M. Li, 2006 Statistical Test Analyst, William Hill, Leeds
- S. Loukopoulos, 2006
- I. Mammi, 2010
- G. Milonas, 2006
- L. Perez - Torres (with Distinction), 2008
- G. Pesli, 2004
- L. Petrucionis (with Merit), 2011
- E. Salidou, 2005
- I. Villanueva, 2011
- W. Xue, 2005
MSc in Continuum Mechanics
- M.R. Collyer, 1966
- G. Fraser-Andrews, 1966
- A.N. Klier, 1966
- L.R. Mustoe, 1965
- M.J. Taylor, 1965
- W.K. Taylor, 1966
Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics and Computer Science
Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics and Data
- A. Starczynska, 2010
- F. Al-Juboori, 2011
Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics and Econometrics
Postgraduate Certificate in Statistics and Computer Science
Graduate Diploma in Statistics and Operational Research
- T. Addo, 1995
- J.St. Boston, 1992
- P. Christodoulides, 1994
- K.L.G. Edwards, 1992
- C. Fernandez, 1992
- P. Holt, 1995
- J. Maitala, 1995
- S. Makris, 1996
- M.B. Malik, 1980
- J. Mochama, 1990
- S. Nanji, 1992
- I. Papadopoulos, 1992
- N.H.A. Rahman, 1993
- N. Mohamed Ramli, 1996
- J. Sangha, 1995
- M.M. Tahir, 1996
- K.P. Tay, 1980
- T. Tidman, 1971
- S. Triadaphillou, 1999
- A. Watkins, 1994
- R. Westerbeek, 1995
- E. Zamudio-Gomez, 2000
Graduate Diploma in Mathematics
- G. Stergianopoulos, 2005
- T.Y. Yu, 2006
Certificate in Mathematics
- D. Basileiou, 1993
- F. di Ottavio, 1994
- E. Mavrakis, 1997
- N. Pitsolis, 1993
- S. Usman, 2000
Last modified on 25 February 2013.